Sunday, August 24, 2008

Death Of Faithful Church Member in Boyhood Town

I ran across an obituary in an online site of the Belleville News, the only known online newspaper site in my hometown's (Marissa) county. It was for 95 year-old Florence Incze. I did not get to know her real well as she had lived away from the area for many years after getting married until her retirement. She and her husband moved back around the time my family and I moved to CA.

However, she is associated with some of my childhood memories as her sister Dorothy and Ray lived next to me on the main street in town. Dorothy had several other siblings in town as did Ray had a brother, most of whom were also members of my church. Quite often, they and their spouses would all gather on her front porch for evening coffee, chatting while traffic passed by. I would be riding my tricycle down the sidewalk and would stop to tell them the normal nonsense a young child would tell them. Somehow, I think they were rather entertained. Anyhow, I remember Florence and her husband being there whenever they were in town.

Over the years upon my visits to Marissa, I would observe Florence (by then a widow), serving in my boyhood church in many ways. She aged very gracefully, often waiting on her younger siblings who were less ambulatory than she. She was faithfully serving the Lord until she had to move to a nursing home a few years ago where she passed away a few days ago. I am thankful that some church members took time to drive her to church from there on occasion as most of her local siblings were now with the Lord or themselves convelescent.

Another observation was it was gratifying to observe rare sibling closeness among that family that you do not see often in our own generation. I only hope to see this more prevalent within the Body of Christ. No other real thoughts on this posting, but just thought I would mention it.

Later as the Lord wills,

Paul

No other thoughts, but it was just something I thought mentioning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, I bet you thought I wouldn't visit. I really enjoyed reading your blogs and look forward to reading more later. I'll be checking in from time to time. Very touching stories.

-M