Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Happy 80th Birthday Bill Bickel


Boy, I bet those of you beginning to read these blogs are wondering what is up with me talking about aged friends. I am actually only middle-aged (honest!!). But I just cannot let this special day pass by without an acknowledgment of the 80th birthday of my friend Bill Bickel. I sing with him in choir. He is not very outspoken, but his presence seems to command leadership and respect. He certainly has mine!

I praise God that both he and his lovely wife Priscilla are blessed with great health and are able to enjoy serving the Lord together. Since mine and Bill's birthdays are fairly close together, I decided to host a small dinner party for us this Saturday so we could celebrate together. I have been wanting to have the both the Bickels and Swindles over for some time now, and what an occasion...yep you guessed it...Stouffers lasagna again!!!!!!! What can I say!

Also, some of you are probably wondering about my friend Sharon who I mentioned a few days ago. She is progressing marvelously! She has been moved out of ICU, the ventilator removed. She is mentally alert and starting to eat a little too! Though I mailed out a card ( which I hope she receives!), I am choosing not to call her for another week or so, as I am sure talking must be wearing her out...(never thought I'd see that one, LOL!) But I am anxiously looking forward to speaking with her soon. Please continue in your prayers for her.

A verse from an old hymn "Spirit of God, Descent Upon My Heart" by George Croly:

"Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth; through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love."

Until then; will post again later if the good Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise!

2 comments:

Jim Swindle said...

The birthday dinner was excellent. Thanks for inviting us. It was the first time in a long time that I'd gathered around a piano with friends to sing old hymns.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul:
Nan Taylor here - good to hear from you and Happy Birthday. Hope to see you in CA the next time you visit Grace Comm Church.
Sweet Blessings,
Nan