Friday, August 22, 2008

Illness of Friend Sharon

I have what most consider an odd friendship with someone named Sharon Heil. She is the mother of my childhood classmate Lindy, also a friend. In fact, during my Kindergarten through 11th grade in Illinois (spent my 12th grade in California), I had more classes with Lindy than any other person, so I knew her pretty well.

While I did know Sharon who was actually a teacher, I was never a direct pupil. I did like her as she seemed to be one of the most fun-loving and likeable teachers. She was reputable for knowing her craft as an English teacher (even in her retirement is a reading workshop consultant). She was also known to be an attentive mother to her children. Most important, she is a devout Christian, involved in her church in Edwardsville. While we differ on a few minor doctrinal issues, her unwavering faith and enthusiasm is quite contagious and inspiring to all who know her.

However, it was not until I had been gone from Illinois for several years that we struck up a friendship and became occasional phone pals ever-since. I remember wondering about an upcoming 10 year reunion, and called their house trying to track down Lindy. Sharon and I had a long chat lasting over an hour. Sharon and another teacher pal of hers looked me up later when visiting California and we three had a good time hanging out. (Can you imagine hanging out with 2 of your teachers?!?!?). But we had such great fun. I consider her now like a 2nd mom. She actually hosted me in her home on my last reunion visit to my hometown.

The reason I write this, is that I learned this week that she has suddenly become seriously ill. I do not know the medical term (much less spelling) of her condition, but it essentially involves kidney blockage and blood infection among other ailments. She had some surgery and went into cardiac arrest. Per Lindy, her heart actually stopped. But the doctors revived her successfully. Thankfully the doctors are optimistic about a full recovery, but will take several weeks, and I understand she is not yet of the woods. This though is nothing short of a miracle for which we give thanks to our God

Naturally, Sharon is heavily on my heart in prayer (of which I have been lifting up to the Lord). I ask all you readers to join me in accord. It is wonderful that we have a great God Who is a great God of miracles Who is the Source of peace and comfort, found only in Jesus Christ Alone.

I am grateful that Sharon does know these things and places her confident in this great truth. The possibility of her premature homegoing to Heaven shook me up, but I am comforted to know that should the Lord had chosen to take her, she would be in her long desired Heaven experiencing this joy and perfect peace.

However, our prayer of course is that she remain here on earth in restored health. While we selfishly want her here in our lives, I am confident that God has more purpose for her here on earth. In fact, in my most recent conversation with her, she was sharing with me recent ailments of her sisters (what irony!), and she had told them that she knew they would get better...when asked how she knew, she would let them know that her faith made her confident of the Lord's intervention.

Please be in prayer with me and her family.

"We know that for those who love God, all things work together for good for those who are called according to His purpose." Rom 8:28.

No comments: